As the world moves on to a post-pandemic existence, we can’t ignore the shift in expectations we’re seeing when it comes to what buyers want in their homes. Below are six ways developers can bring great products to market as we enter a new era.
1. Create spaces of substance and design projects with a forward focus.
Be a leader in setting the industry standard for forward-thinking design.
Buyer expectations are growing, and you need to create a point of difference for what you bring to the market.
- Touchless entry and exits
- Antimicrobial surfaces and materials
- Increased lift access to minimise close contact
- Air filtration systems
- Private recreation areas
- Increased outdoor amenities
- Improved ventilation in hallways and corridors
- Versatile spaces within the residences
2. Conduct robust market research to establish what will attract people to the precinct.
Apartment complexes exist within the broader infrastructure of the community, and by designing property for the demographics that are suited to that infrastructure you’ll attract the right buyers.
For first home buyers, there may be a greater focus on fewer design choices to increase affordability and allow them to put their personal touch on the home. For those with families, on-site child-friendly amenities and storage will likely be a bigger focus.
3. Create a product targeted towards real people that makes a difference in their lives.
Redefine what apartment living looks like and sell an experience, not just a home. When designing complex amenities ask yourself if you’re adding value or simply ticking a box on a brochure, as the lacklustre design will turn them away.
Consider conveniences like bicycle and stroller storage, car-share parking, car washing facilities, fully equipped gyms and recreation rooms, meeting/dining areas, pet-friendly play areas, amenities to launder large items, dog washing facilities etc.
4. Connect your product to innovation, excellence, and sustainability.
The push to improve environmental sustainability is affecting all industries, and the property sector is no exception. Some developers are boasting net-zero carbon credentials through clever design.
By integrating solar power, rainwater collection, improved insulation, recycling facilities, and biophilic design that integrates robust plant life into a building, you can set the standards for innovation. Using renewable, sustainably sourced, or recycled materials in the build, and offering these to buyers, is also an important factor.
5. Maximise floorplans to create superior living spaces.
Developers can make their projects stand out by offering versatile floorplans that allow flexibility of use. Dual-purpose spaces like a cloffice or the utilisation of hallways and stair cavities as desk space are highly desirable. Integrated appliances, a loft that functions as an office or study area, additional bathroom amenities, and glass-enclosed balconies that can be used regardless of the weather are also huge selling points.
6. Work with agencies that can boost your sales through the effective utilisation of their social media platforms.
Align yourself with companies that can provide beneficial cross-promotion. The leverage that can be achieved through successful social media campaigns is huge and needs to be done effectively.
With clever design and planning you can create a development that raises the bar and positions your company as an industry leader, and top of mind for buyers looking for their next home.